пятница, 9 апреля 2021 г.

Past Simple / Regular verbs. Pronunciation. 6th grades. 09/04/2021

 Past Simple

  Regular Verbs 





1. Usage
•           for actions which finished at a stated time in the past.
She went to school by bus yesterday. (When?Yesterday)
•           for actions that happened one after the other in the past.
First he had breakfast and then he left for work.
•                  For  action in the past that took place once, never or several times.
He visited his parents several times a  weekend ago

2. Time expressions
yesterday
last night / week / month / year
a week / month / year ago
two days ago
in 2003
then
this morning
when



3. Structure


PositiveNegativeQuestions
I workedI did not workDid I work?
He
She
It
workedHe
She
It
didn’t workDidHe
She
It
work?
You
We
They
workedYou
We
They
didn’t workDidYou
We
They
work?

4. Spelling Rules: Verb + ed

most regular verbs:
+ed
Marrie walked to school.
Bobbie looked at a bird on the tree
regular verbs ending with -e
+ d
Jimmy  lived in England.
Anne  died in 1982.
regular verbs ending In consonant + y:
-y > ied
He studied In London.
She cried when Bobble, her dog died.
regular verbs ending In
consonant + vowel + consonant: double the last consonant
double
the last consonant
+ed
He stopped learning in London last month. She travelled around the world.

5. How to pronounce -ed in the Simple Past
In the Simple Past we add -ed to regular verbs. Be careful pronuncing the verbs:

1. verbs ending in -ed preceded by a voiceless consonant [p, k, f, ʃ, ʧ, s, θ] → speak [t].

Example: I stop – I stopped [stɒpt]

2. verbs ending in -ed preceded by a voiced consonant [b, g, v, ʒ, ʤ, z, ð, l, m, n] or a vowel → speak [d].

Example: I clean – I cleaned [kli:nd]

3. verbs ending in -ed preceded by [t] or [d] → speak [ɪd].

Example: I visit – I visited [vɪzɪtɪd]

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий